Be Happy

Be Happy
Watercolor by Renee Locks, from Brush Dance

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Corn Starch and Cracked Ice

Coping with side effects gives people in treatment some feeling of control. Often it can make the difference in whether people can stand to continue treatment.

I've had a box of corn starch in my cupboard for seven years. Someone from a support group for people waiting for liver transplants mentioned that many experienced intolerable itching, to the point of scratching their arms bloody. Medical staff had no suggestions beyond using lotion, which didn't help. But a patient discovered that corn starch could soothe the itching, and spread the word.

Presumably, the itchiness was/is related to buildup of toxins because a damaged liver can't do its job thoroughly.

So, every time I get itchy, I worry about what it means. Still, I live in a climate that is usually semi-arid, which dries the skin. So far, lotion, or talcum powder, or anti-itch creams with cortisone, have been more than enough to handle the problem.

I've been reading and listening to varied accounts of side effects that individuals experienced during treatment with interferon and ribivarin. Some of them are familiar; fatigue, muscle pain, muscle weakness, low energy, depression, brain fog. I've been told many times by doctors that there is no way to tell whether hepatitis C is responsible for these symptoms. I also have diagnoses of chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia. Flu-like symptoms with fever and nausea are common side effects of treatment. Since I've had the flu many times, I have ways of coping: Ice cubes or cracked ice to suck, ice bags, lots of fluids, acetominophen (I now take Prilosec to counteract the eroding effect of over-the-counter pain medications), lots of rest.

At first I was appalled. I already experienced so many of these symptoms almost daily. Would they become twice as intense? Even so, it would be worth it in order to attempt to stop the virus from damaging me further.

On the other hand, I'm so accustomed to symptoms, I may well be able to handle them without thinking I'm going to die. Since my conditions have kept me unemployable for years, I have the luxury of time to manage rest and activity.

So, bring it on.

No comments: